Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss


I love March! There are so many cool things that we do in the classroom but one of the most fun is starting the month off with Dr. Seuss.  It's a great time to introduce rhyming words if you have not done so already.  If you have introduced them then it is a great time to reinforce the concept.  Dr. Seuss' birthday is March 2nd and a great opportunity to pay tribute to this man who added so much fun to children's literature.

I hope you are enjoying all of the books that Theodor Seuss Geisel wrote under the pen names Dr. Seuss and Theo LeSieg?  Today I'm adding some links that I think you'll enjoy.  Have fun with Dr. Seuss.


Ten Apples Up On Top Activity

15 Seuss Books with activities (not all are appropriate for pre-k so be selective and think of the abilities of the children in your care).

I like this idea for making Seuss hat patterns from TeachPreschool, it's simple to prepare and will inspire some creativity.

If you have computers in your classroom and are able to connect to the internet then here is a link to online Seuss games from apples4theteacher.com that will keep children occupied and learning.




One of my favorite books is Green Eggs and Ham.  Every year my class makes green eggs and ham on or around Seuss' birthday.  It is a lot of fun and they find out that they do, they like them, Sam I Am.  Here are some other activites you can do with this story.

Well, that's just a few ideas to to get you started.  You don't need to wait for his birthday to celebrate Seuss' great books.  I think year round is the appropriate time to celebrate these awesome, imaginative and fun books!